My Aunt Sheila makes the world's best potato salad. I'm telling you, there is nothing like it. We all beg her to make it for EVERY family event. She gave me the recipe a long time ago, and since we weren't celebrating with her family this 4th, I made it myself. I'm not sure it's quite as good as Sheila's but it's still pretty yummy.
Aunt Sheila's Famous Potato Salad (serves 6)
- 6 medium-large potatoes (best if you have a couple of different kinds, like red, yukon gold, bakers, etc)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 large dill pickles
- 2 large celery stalks
- 3 green onions (unless you are cooking for Dan Pedersen. In that case leave these out.)
- 1 C. mayo
- 1 C. miracle whip
- 1 Tbs. prepared mustard
- 1/8 - 1/4 C. dill pickle juice
- salt and pepper
2. Hard boil eggs.
3. Peel eggs and then put both potatoes (still in their jackets) and eggs in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. After they have spent their 30 minutes in the fridge, peel potatoes and cut into bite size pieces and slice eggs.
5. Chop pickles and celery and onions.
6. Carefully fold all of these together in a large bowl.
7. To make sauce, in another container mix miracle whip, mustard, pickle juice, salt and pepper. Carefully fold into potato mixture.
8. Sprinkle top with paprika and pepper. Refrigerate for at least an hour before eating. YUM!
We sure enjoyed our 4th of July BBQ. I hope you had fun eating and celebrating at your house as well!