pin it button

Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Girl In A Whirl and My Wonderful Mom

Have you ever felt like a girl in a whirl? I would be willing to bet that as women, wives, and mothers we ALL have! My friend, Allison shared this poem with me and I thought it was a fun one to share with you on Mother's Day. After the poem, I will get serious and say something from the heart.

Mother's Day 2005 (Wow! Those munchkins sure grew up! I just love being a mom!)












A Girl in a Whirl
By Dr. Sue

Look at me, look at me, look at me now!
You could do what I do if you only knew how.
I study the scriptures one hour each day,
I bake, I upholster, I scrub, and I pray.
I always keep all the commandments completely.
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly.
I help in their class rooms, I sew all they wear,
I drive them to practice, I cut all their hair.
I go to the temple at least once a week;
I change the car's tires and fix the sink's leak.
I'm taking a class on the teachings of Paul,
But that is not all, oh no, that is not all!

I play the piano and work on my talents;
My life is a wonder of fullness and balance.
I read to my children, I help all my neighbors,
I bless my community, too, with my labors.
Our family home evenings are always delightful;
The lessons I give are both fun and insightful.
I do genealogy faithfully, too.
It's easy to do all the things that I do.

I have a home business to help make some money;
I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.
My visiting teaching is done the first day;
I exercise, and I cook menus gourmet.
I can garden produce each summer and fall,
But that is not all, on no, that is not all!
"It's easy," she said, and then she dropped dead!

That's about right, isn't it? Why do we think we really have to do it all? I feel that we need to realize what is truly important and learn to let a few things go. That has never been an easy thing for me, but I am getting better the older and tireder (I know, not a word, but I like it anyway) I get. If anyone taught me the important things about being a mother it is my own mother, Nedra (see photo below). She is truly an angel. I couldn't have had a better childhood.

I remember...
  • reading on the bed with mom before my naps and bedtime each day
  • waking up to find my mom studying the scriptures before she started each day
  • seeing my mom and my dad kneeling at their bedside in prayer together every night
  • watching her stay up late hours to sew a prom dress or new outfit for me while I went to bed
  • how she came and stayed with me after each baby I had. She would get up with the baby at night, change them, bring them in to me to nurse, and then put them back to bed for me.
  • how she always buys the best birthday cards and then writes a very sweet a personal note from the heart in each one
  • homemade chicken noodle soup on Christmas Eve
  • how she didn't get mad at my sister, Andrea and I when we did a 'jumping on the bed' trampoline program for our Christmas Eve talent one year, which was definitely against the every day rules.
  • how calm and patient she was whenever I did something wrong. She never 'freaked out' but always sat down and talked with me about it
  • how after she miscarried once she spent time consoling me (I was so disappointed we weren't having a new baby at our house) instead of focusing on the feelings of disappointment and loss she must have been having
There are so many more memories that I could list, but I will stop here. I love you, Mom! Happy Mother's Day everyone!

2 comments:

Kate Chavez said...

You are such a thoughtful person Karen! Your mom should be so very proud of you! Cute poem too. Also, I hope your cute daughter is enjoying her 1st mother's day!

Lucia said...

Happy Mom's Day Karen!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails