pin it button

Monday, April 27, 2009

15 Down, 9 To Go

I love Mondays! There are lots of reasons I love Mondays...starting a new week fresh, a chance to get caught up on things around the house after a busy weekend, the fact that I meet with my Relief Society Presidency on Mondays (love these ladies), our Family Home Evening (which is sometimes on Sundays, but sometimes on Mondays), not having to worry too much about dinner because I always make a huge Sunday dinner and there are leftovers. Although all of those reasons are good ones, they are not my favorite reason for Mondays. My favorite is that we get an email from our missionary son, Easton (pictured here on one of his less than successful dinner cooking attempts on his mission) on Mondays. We get to hear how his week was, how he is doing, any wonderful experiences he has had, etc. Because he is gone for 24 months and we only talk on the phone on Christmas and Mother's Day (only 2 weeks away!), these weekly emails are precious to me. Easton hit his 15 month mark this week, which means he has 9 months left until he comes home. I do not mean to sound as if I am wishing his mission away...quite the contrary. It has been a wonderful experience for him and the people he is serving and has been a wonderful experience for us, his family as we hear about his experiences and feel the special spirit that is in our home because of it. But that doesn't mean I don't miss him like crazy. So, here's to being happy my son chose to serve a mission, being happy he still has 9 months left to enjoy this once in a lifetime experience, and realizing that in 9 short months he will be home with us again.

So here I am waiting at the computer, hoping that his email will come any minute. Are you laughing at me? Well, wait until YOU have a missionary son. You'll understand!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I have to say, I am not laughing with you...I have tears reading that you only get to hear his voice two times a year and how long he is gone. I know he is doing great work and it's a great experience for him but I cannot imagine parting with my beautiful boy for that long and not talking to him whenever he or I wanted.
Blessings to you and your family and I hope it was a wonderful e-mail!

Amy said...

Wow, I can't believe he's been out that long, what a darling boy you have! I bet there is seriously no greater joy than knowing that your sweet boy chose to serve a mission. What a great example you and Dan are to him. Love the pic of him!

Carly said...

Karen I can't belive Easton only has 9 more months! I'm excited you want to try that cheesecake, it really is unbelievable, if you make it though make sure you use the Bon Appetit recipe:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails