pin it button

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Karen's FAVORITE Chocolate Cake


I am on a recipe roll. Maybe because I have had almost zero creative time this week but have had several things to cook for. This is my very favorite chocolate cake dessert. I think you'll love it too! I hope to have something creative to post again SOON! Hang in there. I am going through creative withdrawals and just HAVE to find some time to make something soon or else I might scream!

Karen's Favorite Chocolate Cake

Start with a 9x13 chocolate cake. You can make it by scratch or use a mix. I use the Betty Crocker Butter Recipe Chocolate Cake mix. I like to cook it about 5-7 minutes less than the box says. I wait until it is just BARELY able to be touched on top and bounce back. This makes a MUCH moister cake. I have found that most cake mixes have you bake the cake too long...at least in my expert opinion (tee hee). Let cake cool.

Topping Layer One:
1 - 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 - 4 serving size instant chocolate pudding mix
1 - 4 serving size instant vanilla pudding mix
3 C. milk

Put cream cheese in mixing bowl and add one packet of pudding and about a 1/2 cup of the milk. Mix. Then slowly add milk as you are mixing (otherwise you will have TONS of lumps). After you have got a nice, smooth mixture with all of the milk added, put in the other pudding mix and beat until blended. Let this thicken for a couple of minutes and then pour over cake.

Topping Layer Two:
8 oz cool whip (or whip your own whipping cream)

Spread this layer over the pudding layer on the cake.

Topping Layer Three:
Add chocolate curls. The ones in the photo have wilted a bit because I didn't take this photo until the next day. I just use a carrot peeler and a chocolate bar and make my own curls. It works best if the chocolate bar has been refrigerated. Otherwise it gets melty as you work.

Store cake covered in the refrigerator and serve cold.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm drooling here. I just finished baking pound cake, I'll have to wait until next week to attempt this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Carrie said...

This looks soooo good. I am going to make this for some company that is coming this weekend. My husband loves Chocolate cake.

Brenda said...

Karen, I have to tell you that I have a folder on my computer called "Karen's Recipes." You share such wonderful ideas - and even if you are not having time for paper creativity, you are sharing your creative knack for food! That's just as important!

Thanks for another good recipe!

mindy said...

can't wait to make this for my daughter's b-day this weekend. Sounds delicious! Keep sharing your favorite recipes : )

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Oh My! I didn't have a sweet tooth until I read your post tonight! Yikes, Karen! Your recipe sounds so YUMMY!!!

Jamie Harder said...

Wow another fabulous recipe...you could start up another whole blog dedicated to food if you wanted too:-) YUM!! You are a master of all trades!!

bren said...

Yummy!!!! Funny, I had to take a break because I had the urge for chocolate chip cookies, even though it was super hot today! Gotta try this recipe soon! sounds dee-lish!

kimber said...

Ohh, oh, YUM. I must try this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails