pin it button

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gratitude




Gratitude...what a wonderful concept! If we spent more time focusing on our blessings than on the things that we wish were in our lives, we would be much happier people. I KNOW this because there are days where I am mighty good at one or the other, and which side I choose to focus on for the day affects who I am that day.

With Dan having hit his one year 'out of work' mark the beginning of this month, I admit that I have swayed more to the wishing side than the thanking side of things. What a wonderful day today is to put myself back on track!

Other than the fact that Dan has no job, our lives are so abundantly blessed with so much that I cannot even begin to name it all in this post. But, I thought I'd give it a little shot anyway. There is a song that we sometimes sing at church called, "Count Your Blessings." I love this song. Here are a few of the lyrics: "Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessings, see what God has done." LOVE this song. What a great reminder! In fact, not too long ago I decided I was going to say a prayer with nothing but "thank you's" in it. It was amazing to me how many things I had to thank my Father in Heaven for when I thought only of that and not of asking Him for things I need. Give it a try. You might be surprised!

So, here I am counting a few of my blessings:
1. FAMILY: I hate to make any of you sad, but I definitely have the best family EVER! From parents and grandparents and in-laws, to sisters, to aunts and uncles, to DAN THE MAN (the love of my life), to my four amazing children, to my wonderful son-in-law, and to my beautiful granddaughter. I love you all more than you could EVER imagine. Just typing this and thinking about each of you makes my heart so full that it is overflowing through my eyes.

2. God/Faith/Testimony/Church: I am so grateful for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I love my Heavenly Father and know that He loves me. I know that he knows me individually and hears and answers my prayers. I also know that He never gives us more than we can bear. I am grateful that he has had so much faith in Dan and I this year as we have experienced unemployment for the first time ever in our 24 1/2 years of marriage. I hope he SOON feels we have about had all that we can bear in that department! :) Seriously, as hard as it is some days, I NEVER doubt my Heavenly Father. I am grateful for my deep rooted testimony and faith in God.

I am also grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ and his atonement. It changed the world and continues to change mine daily.

3. Home: I love our little home and have so many wonderful memories of raising our family here.

4. Friends: Thank you to ALL of you who enrich my life beyond belief. I have some of the kindest, most thoughtful and compassionate friends around. You know who you are! I love you!

5. Job: I use that term loosely! How I have been able to earn the income I do with Close To My Heart for the past almost seventeen years while LOVING what I do so much continues to baffle me. I am SO GRATEFUL for this career that began as a way to make a few extra dollars here and there.

6. Laughter: At a time when I have learned more than ever that the best way to deal with stress is to find humor in it, I am grateful for laughter. I LOVE it when something makes me laugh so hard that my face hurts. Like yesterday when Dan and I went to the grocery store and I mixed a metaphor so badly that we both laughed until tears were running down our faces. Have you ever cut off your foot to spite your face? I hope not! Oh my! Where did that come from?

7. Age/Peace/Wisdom: Other than the physical part of aging, I appreciate and find joy in this process. I love the peace and contentment that come with the stage of life I am in. I love enjoying my children as teenagers and adults. I love being a grandma and think I love watching Dan be a grandpa even more! I like thinking that I have gained a little bit of wisdom over the years. I can live with the wrinkles and grey hair (that's what makeup and hair color were invented for, right?), but could someone please figure out the metabolism shift thing? If you do, PLEASE email me the solution. And, DON'T let your email say, "Eat less and exercise." That is not the solution I am looking for.

The list could go on and on, but this is my top 7 for 2009. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving surrounded by your blessings. I'm off to finish my part of the dinner now. Oh, one more thing to be grateful for...I am not hosting dinner this year. WOO HOO!

6 comments:

Kim Harper said...

Happy Thanksgiving Karen!

Thanks for sharing your top 7 reasons to be tahnkful. I agree if we are all thankful for what we have and not dwell on what we want we would be so much more satisfied and greatful.

Wishing you and your amazing family a wonderful day!

Lori said...

What a great time to remember all the things we should be thankful for and you are truly blessed. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

ya didn't make me sad...but ya did make me teary eyed! This is truly the very best time of the year! I wish it was every 3 months instead of every 12!!! :) What a fabulous tribute to your life and to your family!!! Happy Thanksgiving Karen....


wonderful layout!!!

Laurel said...

What a great post today! A beautiful layout and of course what great writing!

Brandie said...

I LOVE that color combo! very cool.

Susann said...

Thank you for making me smile everytime I read your blog. You are truly an inspiration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails