pin it button

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Why I Scrapbook



This past weekend, we had a family reunion with my Dad's family.  There was lots of food, visiting, fun and games, but most importantly we talked about family history. I learned some things about my dad I never knew before (he's not always the best about talking about himself).

I always knew my daddy was a stud, but  I learned a little more about him. I knew he was a heavyweight golden gloves boxer, but as these photos, newspapers and tournanent programs were pulled out, I learned a little more.

This photo was the final four in the 1961 National Golden Gloves Championship (heavyweight). Dad lost in the semi final match to the guy on the top right of that photo, who went on to win it all. Incidentally, that guy lost in the title match in 1960 (the year before) to none other than Cassius Clay (later known as Muhammed Ali). 



This photo was Dad's bio in the program (3 sport college athlete and Navy vet). 



This  photo is my dad knocking a guy out with a roundhouse right to advance in the tournament.



This is a photo of him and some fighters from other divisions (yes, my daddy is TALL!) from the newspaper. 


It was so much fun to see these photos, to read multiple newspaper articles about my dad, and to learn some details I never knew before. THIS is why I scrapbook! I'm looking forward to immortalizing my dad and his boxing career for generations to come on some scrapbook pages soon. Stay tuned!


2 comments:

Lynn said...

Great post Karen. Neat stuff about your dad too. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn said...

Great post Karen. Neat stuff about your dad too. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails